Polyphthalamides (PPA), also known as semi-aromatic polyamides are combinations of aliphatic & aromatic functionalities. Polyphthalamides generally fill the performance gap between high cost polymers such as PAEK (polyaryletherketone) and aliphatic nylons such as PA6 & PA6,6. Various types of products are formed using polyphthalamides such as impact-modified, high-flow, high-reflectivity, glass-filled, mineral-filled, flame-retardant and electrical grades. Wide range of applications utilize polyphthalamides such as domestic appliances, electronic devices and under-bonnet automotive components.
PPA’s High Transition & High Deflection Temperature to Boost the Global HPA Consumption
The properties of high deflection & high transition temperature of polyphthalamides are likely to boost its consumption in the production of automotive body-parts. Government regulations on reduction of automotive emissions had made manufacturers to focus on enhancing overall fuel economy of vehicles. Owing to its superior characteristics, PPA has been observed to increase working lifespan of components and reduce their weight resulting in improved fuel efficiency. These factors are expected to propel the growth of global polyphthalamides market in the near future. The global polyphthalamide market is projected to exhibit 5.6% CAGR during 2016 to 2024 according to a study by Persistence Market Research (PMR). A major challenge involved in use of PPA is its higher production costs. However, PPA with filler material is witnessing higher adoption among high-end applications and is expected to gain traction among mass utilizations of the product.
Major Applications of Polyphthalamides (PPA) Include
- Under-bonnet automotive applications- Benefits of PPA use in under-bonnet automotive applications involve adequate resistance against heat aging for automotive lifetimes, high strengths & stiffness at elevated temperatures, dimensional stability, paint adhesion, easy processing along with good surface aesthetics, hydrolysis resistance and weldability. While the products utilizing PPA include tank flaps, engine mount orifice bodies, capless fuel filler systems, exhaust-gas recirculation components, oil-coolers, snap-fit electrical terminals, control system enclosures, engine covers, electrical water pump & thermostat housings, digital water valves, fuel filter housings, air-intake manifolds, heater core end caps, molded-in-place gaskets and noise encapsulation devices.
- High flow grades can be utilized for the production of complex electronic components. This entails benefits such as resistance to hot& humid environments and lead-free soldering technologies compatibility. These components are widely used in applications such as surface mount technology components, LED (light-emitting diode), connectors, controller housings and motor parts. Polyphthalamides are utilized in sockets & connectors for highly advanced serial attachment connectors, memory cards and notebook memory backplanes. The toughness & weld-line strength of PPA is superior to that of LCP. Laptop base frames can be produced from flame retardant grades. LED require highly reflective and durable sockets. PPA provides high-reflectivity whites and a light natural color combined with good dimensional and ultraviolet stability along with excellent adhesion to silicone and metal. In addition, thermally conductive grades provide improvement in heat management.
- Various small domestic appliances like gardening equipment & power tools consist of PPA components. Currently, the conventional connectors used in various domestic appliances are being transformed to surface mount technology in turn creating new opportunities for PPA.
- Composite structures containing a metal component are used for fixing and fastening conventional rubber components. PPA maintains stability at vulcanization temperatures providing a corrosion-resistant and lightweight alternative. On the other hand, injection molding provides inexpensive manufacturing of complex parts. Composite components find use in variety of applications such as shock-absorbing bearings & rubbers or reinforced seals.
- PMXD6 resins provide very high stiffness and strength in thin-wall components along with an excellent surface finish which is scratch-resistant. The appearance of such components is familiar to that of a metal and these components find applications in mobile-phone housings, electric iron parts, automotive door handles, headlamp surrounds, shaver heads, sewing-machine components and mirror housing.
For more infromation visit @ http://www.persistencemarketresearch.com/market-research/polyphthalamide-market.asp